Friday, September 9, 2011

Swamp Thing #1


Written by Scott Snyder
Art and cover by Yanick Paquette
On sale September 7, 2011 - 32 pages for $2.99
Rated T+

My rating: 5/5
Will it be in my pull list? Top of the stack.

Previews Text: One of the world's most iconic characters has returned to the heart of the DC Universe, and every step he takes will shake the foundations of the Earth!

Alec Holland has his life back... but the Green has plans for it. A monstrous evil is rising in the desert, and it'll take a monster of another kind to defend life as we know it!


This was probably my favorite book of the week. Like. Seriously. I loved everything about it. Well, okay, not everything, I thought the lines in the art were a little thick at times, but really, isn't that a minor complaint? Everything else was amazing and stunning and all sorts of other fitting adjectives that would describe how much I liked it and how wonderful it was.

For those of you that are wondering, yes. The events of Brightest Day Aftermath: The Search for Swamp Thing did take place. You don't have to read the three issue mini-series to get what's going on in this one, but I would recommend it big time. (Especially since that series also served as John Constantine's reintroduction into the DC Universe, and he's going to be around in Justice League Dark.)

Without giving things away that aren't said explicitly very early in the issue, and things you should know if you read The Search for Swamp Thing anyway, Alec Holland and the Green are now two separate entities. But how well are they going to exist as separate beings? The Green doesn't have the humanity that Alec Holland had, therefor he's not as much of a "good guy" as he used to be, and Alec has all these memories of being a monster. So how is this going to be worked out?

And what is that insanity going on over there in the desert? Does it have anything to do with the things that went down in Animal Man?

I, for one, can't wait to see it unfold. It's going in my pull list alright, and I'm not taking it out of my pull list any time soon. If ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment