Friday, September 16, 2011

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #1


Written by Jeff Lemire
Art by Alberto Ponticelli
Cover by J.G. Jones
On sale September 14, 2011 - 32 pages for $2.99
Rated T

My rating: 3/5
Will this be in my pull list? Yes. For now.

Previews Text: It's Frankenstein as you've never seen him before, in a dark new series from acclaimed writer Jeff Lemire (SWEET TOOTH) and artist Alberto Ponticelli (UNKNOWN SOLDIER)!

Frankenstein is part of a network of strange beings who work for an even stranger government organization: The Super Human Advanced Defense Executive! But can he protect the world from threats even more horrifying than himself? And since he's vilified for who and what he is, will he even want to take on the mission?


Alright, I had high hopes when it came to this one. I really did. I mean, Jeff Lemire. Just scroll down to my Animal Man article for more on that one. But this first issue was a bit of a let down. It wasn't exactly bad, but it wasn't great either.

This was very much an intro issue. Now, that isn't really a bad thing. I needed a bit of an intro as I really don't know the characters, so at least there was that. And I'm going to continue to pick it up, at least through the first arc, because it has a lot of potential to be great.

The team consists of the monster (um... I don't like calling him Frankenstein cause that's a common mistake, he was never named in the original novel, the scientist who made him was named Frankenstein), a very Abe Sapien type woman, a werewolf, a vampire, and the monster's four-armed bride. Problem is, the bride has gone missing. She literally disappeared in the blink of an eye.

Like I said, the series has potential, so I'm going to give it more of a chance here, but this first issue just didn't grab me.

No comments:

Post a Comment