Friday, September 16, 2011

Batwoman #1


Written by J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman
Art and cover by J.H. Williams III
On sale September 14, 2011 - 32 pages for $2.99
Rated T

My rating: 5/5
Will it be in my pull list? Oh HELL yes.

Previews Text: At last! Batwoman's new series begins, from the multiple award-winning creative team of J.H. Williams III and Haden Blackman!

In "Hydrology," part 1 of 5, Batwoman faces deadly new challenges in her war against Gotham City's underworld - and new trials in her life as Kate Kane.

Who or what is stealing children from the barrio, and for what vile purpose? Will Kate train her cousin, Bette Kane (a.k.a. Flamebird), as her new sidekick? How will she handle unsettling revelations about her father, Colonel Jacob Kane? And why is a certain government agency suddenly taking an interest in her?


This. This is the book that I was most excited about for the reboot. But how could I not be excited for it? I've been waiting (im)patiently for it for a year and a half. Originally solicited for April of 2010 it's been through more than it's fair share of delays.

But it has finally arrived.

As much as I was looking forward to it, I didn't read it first. See, I've got this strange habit where I read my comics in alphabetical order. If I don't do it that way then the ones I'm least excited about will get repeatedly skipped over. And this month I'm taking it a step further and reading my DC titles first.

So this was second for the week, but it's the best one I've read so far. And I've read all the new DC so far. J.H. Williams III is known for his amazing art, unconventional panels, and - at least in Batwoman - the ability to shift almost seamlessly from one art style to the next. In Batwoman it's a more painted look when Kate is in costume, yet a more standard but gorgeous style when she's not. But in Batwoman he showed that he can not only do the art for her in an absolutely stunning way, he can also write amazing stories for her with the help of W. Haden Blackman.

The first issue of the series kicks off several new storylines, but none of them seem to get lost or overshadow each other.

Even now - after having read all of the other books DC released this week (and it was a great week for DC) - I have to say Batwoman was my favorite.

But I seem to be partial to Gotham characters anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment