Friday, September 10, 2010

Music To Read Comics By (Part One)

One thing I've noticed is that music can make crappy things better. Sometimes. Not always. Like, if your best friend was screaming because his foot was caught in a bear trap and you had your hands cut off so you couldn't help your best friend get out of the bear trap it's probably safe to say that music wouldn't make the situation better. At all. It might even make the situation worse, cause it could end up getting on your nerves because you're worried about other things that don't consist of the lyrics of La Bamba.

So music is situational. Plus, the musical genre needs to fit the situation that music works for. (Here I was going to mention something about how listening to kids music while in a fight or something wouldn't work, but then I remembered that Kick-Ass disproved that example. So I'll come up with something else.) You don't want to listen to The Animal Song (was that the real name of it?) by the Bloodhound Gang (wasn't that their name?) while you're at the zoo. Cause... ew. Bad images.

But sometimes it does fit and when it does it can be awesome.

Now. Comics themselves aren't a crappy thing. Not to me, at least. I love me some comics. Anyone that knows me can vouch for that statement. But what I'm getting at is every once in a while you can realize that a certain band, CD, or song can go amazingly with a comic.

I put "Part One" in the title of this entry because I've got a feeling that I'm going to come across some other CDs or bands that go better with a given comic series/character than you would expect until you're listening and reading at the same time.

Deadpool - Cobra Starship

Last year, for some reason that probably has to do with the fact that he's a fourth-wall breaking smart-ass, I got pretty into Deadpool. It seems like a lot of comic junkies go through this at some point. Alright, that's obvious. If people didn't like him then he wouldn't show up just about everywhere. Or, he wouldn't in a perfect world, at least. People don't like Liefeld but hey, he keeps getting jobs.

But a few months ago I realized just how sick of him I had gotten. He's an amusing character, sure, but I would probably still enjoy him more if it wasn't for his overexposure. Big companies, including Marvel, still don't understand that there is, in fact, such thing as too much of a good thing.

Oversaturating a market (in this case the comic industry) with something can make it much less fun. For a little while there I was bringing four Deadpool titles every month. Now I"m just sick of him. I brought home two Deadpool books this month because I have a hard time dropping a series once I start it. Thankfully, one of the two ended this month.

Where was I going with this?

Right! Music and comics.

I was dreading reading my Deadpool comics, to be perfectly honest. I was putting it off. But I finally got around to it with the help of Cobra Starship. I am aware that sounds weird, but go with me here.

For those of you that don't know the band, Cobra Starship is a punk-pop-rock-80's-ish band and their feel goes great with the Merc with a Mouth. And they're quirky dorks to top it off. Plus, how could energetic songs with names like The City Is At War (especially if you've seen the video where the "gang/mob war" uses pies to the face instead of guns), The Kids Are All Fucked Up, and Guilty Pleasure not go with a character like Deadpool?

Anyway. Give it a shot. Next time you go to read a Deadpool comic hit up YouTube or something if you don't have any Cobra music already and read along with it playing.

*Note: Overexposure isn't limited to Deadpool. I'm also sick of Wolverine, vampires (for the most part), and Twilight (entirely. No "most part" on this one.). Yes, vampires and Twilight were listed separately intentionally.

**Note 2: I was listening to Fiona Apple as I typed this up. I just felt like sharing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment